For the 7th ePortfolio conference, and in order to give directions to our work towards our 2010 goal (ePortfolio for all), EIfEL decided to address a number of challenges to the ePortfolio community and beyond —many of the problems the ePortfolio community faces today will not be resolved if they are not addressed beyond the ePortfolio silo. The goal of these challenges is to move beyond the current state of ePortfolio development, in particular in the field of interoperability as interoperability is not just a technical issue, but a means to enable new practices and the emergence of truly lifelong and life wide ePortfolios.
The ten challenges are:
- Universal ePortfolio Repository —a unified view of all my assets
- Universal Competency Identifiers —share competency definitions across systems
- ePortfolio social —share assets, knowledge and processes across communities
- ePortfolio semantic editors —make sense of what I write, connect, etc.
- ePortfolio Readers —read any ePortfolio through consistent and multiple views
- Open & Trusted Service Architecture
- ePortfolio based performance support system —make the ePortfolio part of my work
- ePortfolio discovery mechanism —find people, competencies, resources
- URIs as tags —make tags meaningful
- Universal Metadata —create a world brain
Our main objective is to create the conditions for the emergence of MultiPortfolio organisations (one organisation can interact with many different ePortfolio platforms) and MultiOrganisation ePortfolios (have one ePortfolio to interact with many different institutions with their own platform).
Other documents related to the challenges are: